Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Déjà vu Redux


Well, we've passed nearly a month since the last direct incident of self-copying, and I don't think that it's a coincidence that both times the art has been measurably worse the second time around. I picture Tom Wilson and Tom II getting up at 11:30 in the morning in their respective places of residence, looking much like Ziggy here, before having a good half-dozen cups of coffee and getting ready to go to the store for more coffee and alarm clock batteries. Suddenly, the thought hits them: "Oh, crap! I have a comic to put together!"

A panicked phone call and quick glance at the morning's paper later, and we're blessed with this work of art, duplicated a second time, with inferior art. Hey - at least the emphasis has been placed on different words in the sentence, making the punchline completely different. I wonder if Ziggy's still getting up at 3:00 in the afternoon? Hey - I'm not going to be too hard on this strip - last week's lovingly-rendered octopus still resonates in my consciousness.

No comments: